2016-09-24 - Psalm 103
I am a Gideon, and part of my ministry is to visit the county jail. A prisoner recently said, “I believe that God is just waiting for me to make a mistake, so that He can hit me with a hammer.” I totally disagree with what he said. I say this because of what I know about Him and what David wrote about Him.
Psalm 103, a Psalm of David.
Bible passages from
King James Bible Online
And never forget Revelation 1:5 (NLT), "All praise to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us"
- Bless the LORD, O my soul, And all that is within me, bless His holy name!
- Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: (These two verses speak words of adoration and praise, for what He has done for them.)
- a.Who forgives all thine iniquities; (By the pardon of iniquities, which basically means wickedness, which keeps good things from us, we are now restored to the favor of God. Thank goodness that He is still forgiving because we are still sinning and repenting thousands of years later.)
3b. Who heals all of your disease (Our crimes were capital, but God saves our lives by pardoning them; our diseases were mortal, but God saves our lives by healing them. These two things go together; for as for God, His work is perfect and not done in halves. If God takes away the guilt of sin by His pardoning mercy, He will break the power of it by His renewing grace.)
- Who redeems your life from destruction; (The redemption of the soul is precious; we cannot understand the extent of now but will later, and let us never forget that the cost was Jesus’ life.)
4b. Who crowns you with loving kindness and tender mercies; (And what greater dignity is it for us, than to be advanced into the love and favor of God, and given the prospect and pledge of long life.)
- Who satisfies your mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagles. (When God, by the graces and comforts of His Spirit, recovers his people from their decay and fills them with new life, then it is like they are returning to their days of their youth, like an eagle who molts and starts growing feathers again - signifying a newness in life.)
- The LORD executes righteousness and justice for all that are oppressed. (He has revealed Himself and grace to us. He has never been harsh and severe with us, but always tender, full of compassion, and ready to forgive.)
- He made known his ways unto Moses, and by him his acts unto the children of Israel. (Divine revelation is one of the greatest favors the He could do for us, because God restores us to Him by revealing Himself to us, and gives us hope by doing this.)
- The LORD is merciful and gracious; slow to anger, and abounding in mercy. (He endures those people that are very provoking, deferring punishment that He may give them space to repent, and does not rapidly execute the punishment that they deserve.)
- He will not always strive with us, nor will He keep his anger forever. (Unlike humans, God does not always accuse, nor is He angry forever.)
- He has not dealt with us according to our sins; nor punished. (He has not inflicted the judgment that we deserve: God’s patience should lead us to repentance.)
- For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him. (I have heard that fear, in this case, means loving reverence/respect for who He is.)
- As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
- As a father pities his children, So the Lord pities those who fear Him. (He has pitied our sorrows, and is tender to you as a Father.)
- For He knows our frame; he remembers that we are dust. (Remember, that is what he made man, from in the beginning.)
- As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourishes.
- For the wind passes over it, and it is gone; and its place remembers it no more. (A man may average 75 years of life on Earth, but if he knows Him, eternity will be spent in Heaven. Think of the sand at Corpus Christi.)
- But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children. (He has pardoned not only our iniquities, but also our sins.)
- To such as keep his covenant and to those that remember his commandments to do them. (Accept Him for who He is, and do what He wants us to do.)
- The LORD has established His throne in heaven; and his kingdom rules over all. (Think of where you are on Earth, and then look up at the stars and Heaven is beyond that.)
- Bless the LORD, you His angels, who excel in strength, who do His word. Heeding the voice of His word.
- Bless the LORD, all ye his hosts; you ministers of His, who do his pleasure. (This means all of us that serve Him, including His angels)
- Bless the LORD, all His works, in all places of His dominion. Bless the LORD, O my soul.
Dear Heavenly Father, we thank you for the undeserving love, grace, and mercy that you show us every day. Please instill in us a desire to tell people what You have done for us and want to do for them. We love You, Your Son, and the Holy Spirit. All of this is said in the name above all names which is Jesus Christ. Amen
All verses are from the New King James Version (NKJV) unless otherwise noted.
CFD | September 2016
| Rodney's Devotions |
Yesterday's Devotion |